The statements below were drafted by our Cooperative Steering Committee’s Mission/Vision Working Group and adopted by the full Committee on October 5, 2021. (Please note that we are still in the process of incorporating as a cooperative, but plan to do by early 2022.)
We envision a world that is cooperative: where all people have a real voice in decisions affecting their lives, live in harmony with one another and the natural world, and work together to cultivate joyful, just, and loving community.
Rozzie Bound is a dynamic indie bookstore and community gathering space that is cooperatively owned and operated by worker owners and consumer members. Our mission is to strengthen community by fostering the joy of reading and connecting readers with books that inspire creativity, critical thinking, and civic engagement.
We reflect and influence the life of the community through fun and engaging programs that celebrate our city’s rich diversity of experiences and perspectives. We connect neighbors through literary, cultural, and educational programs such as workshops, author talks, book clubs, poetry and story slams, children’s story time, live music, and film screenings. We model cooperative principles by developing partnerships with local schools, libraries, non-profit organizations, community-oriented businesses, and other cooperative enterprises. We foster a supportive, respectful, democratic, and empowering workplace. And we serve as an incubator for innovative ideas for growing a more fair and equitable economy.
Rozzie Bound is about connecting people, sharing ideas, and building community. We are guided in our work by the following core values:
- Community – strengthening community by providing a space for shared learning and civic engagement.
- Justice – working toward an equitable and just society that actively works to dismantle systems of oppression and inequality.
- Cooperation – working in solidarity with nonprofits, social enterprises, and other cooperatives to build a sustainable economy that is fair, equitable, and democratic.
- Diversity – promoting understanding and connections through literature that reflects a diversity of backgrounds and experiences.
- Creativity – inspiring creativity to enrich our lives and our community through the arts.